Thursday, September 3, 2009

Reverberation


Skateboaring. It has become as ordinary to a college campus as studying. Needless to say, this eventually generated an aural passivity in me when it came to skateboard sonance. However, my ear's curiousity was stimulated when the mundanity was illuminated through reverberation.

I've had two weeks to become fully acclimated with the new and extended path to my car this semester (courtesy of my negligence in remembering to purchase a parking pass). Being that it's been hot and humid and I bore fairly easy, I've taken on the character of an automaton while walking to my car. For these same reasons, I have also been searching for distractions to divert my attention from the walk that is nothing short of an annoyance.

Typically, skateboards signify alert in my mind. This is probably heavily influenced by my paranoia of being hit by students on bikes who are probably as bemused as myself while walking through campus. However, on Thursday afternoon, I heard the sounds of a student skateboarding before I was able to visually locate the site of the sound. Although the sound was remininscent of a skateboard, there was something unusual about it this time. When I realized that the sound being emitted by the skateboard was the product of reverberation caused by the roof hovering above, I averted my eyes from the scene and abosrbed the sound. It was then that it became extraordinary to me.

Perhaps it was the receptiveness of my senses caused by my mood during the walk, but there was something unfamiliar about that noise that made me smile. It was different, yet relaxing. And for the time being, it provided me with my much needed distraction and the inspiration to continue to my destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment