Friday, September 11, 2009

Identification Code: Unidentified

In the Museum of Jurassic Technology, locating yourself visually is an arduous task in and of itself. Consequently, this facet impelled me to contemplate MJT in terms of its sound. When walking through the museum, I quickly noticed that sound is not contained within rooms (which is standard of most museums). It escapes and flows freely throughout the space. Even the audio presentations channeled through a telephone system could be heard while walking past certain displays (another sound commonly confined and intended for the individual listener). At the same time, other audio presentations were acoustically subtle to the extent that I could not isolate the presenter's voice from the music emanating from nearby display rooms.


Naturally, being born into a culture that values and protects personal space, I immediately thought I'd experience a moment of panic since the sound mimicked the social interaction in MJT. However, for a reason unbeknownst to me, I didn't perceive the closeness as invasive but rather inviting. For a moment, I had thought I had found the holy grail of soundscapes. The unbordered soundscape. A sanctuary of sound where you can free yourself from thought and access the world of curiosity and wonderment.


I was soon faced with reality at the site of the exhibit featuring a dog with a man barking in its head. Alas, the staunch reminder of organized sound. However, even this grim of a realization was overshadowed by the intricate organization of the sonic environment housed inside MJT. Perhaps this was the ideal acoustic design Schafer and his research team were advocating for.


There was one theme that was prominent inside the walls of MJT. Walking through the museum, I could not identify a soundmark. No identified soundmark: no recognized authority. For this reason, you could hear any sound at any given time depending on what your ear transfixed itself on first. This characteristic alone revealed that MJT was organized to excite, entice and invite the mind on a journey meant to explore the world sans soundmarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment