Saturday, November 21, 2009

Rupture


With the history of a well-respected pop icon like Beyonce, it comes to no surprise that dabbling in the world of spectacle is accepted and natural since she has been easing audiences into the idea of Sasha Fierce for years. I find this interesting in comparison to Lady GaGa, a figure who is only known as being overtly spectacle. While it is clear that Beyonce is fully embracing her alter ego in this colorful, slightly Tarantinoesque display, I couldn't help but think about if the roles were reversed. In other words, what challenges would Lady GaGa face if she wished to transition her role from spectacle to a respectable woman who for the most part is taken seriously. More importantly, how do we as listeners use music to negotiate and explore our own identities as we have so often seen GaGa do?


While most see popular culture and particularly pop music as being throw-away commodities, it seems as though artists and consumers are adjusting to this new world by using disposable goods (or in GaGa case, disposable characters) to their advantage. Many take a negative stance, lamenting the changes that are happening in the music world to the extent that they no longer see change as being possible. Even worse, they view political action as being paralyzed in the new marketplace. With that said, social and political problems are rendered perpetual since the tools to gain a voice are a thing of the past.


Being part of this generation of technological advancement and "disposable commodities," I'd like to believe that there is an ounce of hope somewhere waiting to be unveiled.


I find this hope in the following two areas:
Now as much as I'd like to believe that my tastes are too superior to ever be moved by pop music, I've been noticing something lately. I recently went to pick up dinner for my sister during prime dinner hour and I found myself in a sea of people all waiting for the same food my sister desired. I've never been good with crowds so as you can assume, I wanted out. However, I remained waiting growing ever more frustrated by the minute. When I got back to my car, I turned on my radio since my iPod was dead. That is when I heard myself utter the words, "Thank goodness for Beyonce," almost involuntary. Her song "Sweet Dreams" was playing on the radio and it helped rescue my from the stress I feel in a continually shrinking world. Instantly, I returned to a mentally healthier state that would have not been possible otherwise.


Contrary to the common discourse, maybe they are not all throw-away commodities seeing as how I doubt I will ever forget that unexpected experience. In other words, if we concentrated on something other than the surface, these things might be able to take us to a deeper place (one that we can't get to in the physical world).


This bring me back to this video. There are unwritten laws that dominant how popular artists are portrayed. As a result, it makes more economic sense to depict Lady GaGa taking the back seat to Beyonce in this collaboration than the alternative. Once again, this is because Beyonce has established herself as a respectable woman outside of her onstage persona. Maybe Lady GaGa is using the spectacle for a means to an end that we have yet to see. She is highly acclaimed and highly visible and I doubt people will stop paying attention to her anytime soon. Isn't that power? It may be hard to recognize in this new culture, but using spectacle seems pretty strategic since this new reign of throw-away commodities is never turning back. Power lies in the way we utilize technology and goods. In order to realize this, we need to change the way we listen so we can maintain our sanity in a seemingly hopeless and ever-shrinking world. Otherwise, we are likely to suffocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment